Tuition and Costs
It is important to have a general idea about money matters if you decide on studying abroad. If you keep that in mind at an early stage, potential uncertainties can be avoided.
Program cost for the year 2016-2017: $38,832.
This sum includes:
- Tuition for the five-week Presemester Program, including an excursion to Berlin.
- Tuition for all courses at the Year of Study in Munich.
- Admission and all fees for courses at the University of Munich.
- Rent for 11 months in a single room in the student dorm in the Studentenstadt. This includes the two-month semester break.
- All excursions offered by the Year of Study in Munich, such as Berlin, Augsburg, Neuschwanstein, Murnau or Vienna.
- Health insurance for 12 months. Students receive all benefits of the German health care system, including coverage for doctors, dentists, hospitals, and prescriptions. Also offered is coverage for health care in non-EU countries.
- Residence permit.
- Lewis & Clark transcripts.
- Tickets for cultural events like theaters and museums.
- Semester tickets for Munich’s subway, busses and streetcars.
- Individual tutoring to support academic progress in all courses at the Year of Study in Munich and the University of Munich.
Not included in the tuition are costs for food and incidental expenses, such as postage, paper, books, toiletries, individual travel and so on. Some students live very cheaply by buying their own food and cooking in the dorm, while others prefer to spend more on food by eating in restaurants. The student dining hall, the Mensa, provides an inexpensive lunch to those who do not want to cook.
The Year of Study in Munich staff estimates that students need $300-600 per month for living in Munich.
Upon arriving in Munich, students will need €100 to cover their room deposit. The deposit will be returned at the end of the year if the room has been left in good order.